From 1808, travelers disembarking from ships at Cape Town’s Castle stayed at the Perseverance Tavern in Slave’s Walk (now Buitenkant Street).
Many notable Cape luminaries became ‘Persies’ regulars. These include Cecil John Rhodes; numerous politicians; academics; artists; sport and business people; European expatriates; and colourful District 6 personalities.
The oldest vine in South Africa (planted in the 1830’s – predating the Drostdy-Vine in Graaff-Reinet by at least 30 years) grew in the Garden of the Perseverance until the early 1900’s.
In 1836 Persies received its official wine and malt license. Ohlsson’s Breweries (the forerunner of South African Breweries) owned Persies from the turn of the 20th Century until 1952.
A German publication included Persies as one of the Pubs of the World, and in 1985 it won the first Pub of the Year Award from 170 Western Cape entrants.
Persies has the Cape’s earliest electric street lamps and historic portraits of
The Mother City on its walls. An original tavern menu is one of the exhibits.